in the Old Mission Church, Hackney, Derbyshire.
This little church, once a joiner's workshop, was converted for worship in 1913, and in 1962-63 was renewed and renovated. Today it is the company offices of a firm of Architects.
Foundation stone on South wall outdoors.
To the Glory of God
HENRY, JOHN BRINSLEY MANNERS
8th DUKE OF RUTLAND
Laid this stone the 3rd Day of May 1913
To the Glory of God and in memory of
DENNIS GEORGE KNOWLES
For many years an ardent and untiring worker for this church
called to rest August 2th 1984 aged 38 years.
Stone Plaque on Wall
All ye who enter this church pray peace and felicity of the souls of RONALD WILLIAM WALL Reader in the Diocese
of Derby Churchwarden of this parish Called suddenly to
serve his God elsewhere 3rd Dec. 1949 aged 37 years A man greatly loved.
Wooden Plaque on wall: Roll of Service 1939 - 1945
- CECIL WALL R.I.P.
- A. LAWRENCE SLATER R.IP.
- ALBERT H. HART
- WILLIAM BATEMAN
- BRIAN BEDNALL
- ALAN BEDNALL
- HERBERT BUXTON
- JAMES CHARLESWORTH
- JOHN CHARLESWORTH
- THOMAS F. COBB
- JOHN W. COBB
- WILFRED DEAKIN
- ERIC GILBERTHORPE
- JOSEPH GILBERTHORPE
- FRANK KIRKHAM
- DENNIS G. KNOWLES
- ERIC. L. MALPASS
- ETHELBERT PARKER
- ERIC ROUSE
- LEONARD SMITH
- ROBERT SMITH
- FREDERICH WALKER
- NORMAN WALKER
- COLIN WHEELDON
- REX WHEELDON
Several chairs with metal plaques on backs:
- VIOLET WALKER 1976
- MINNIE KIRKHAM 1969
- CHARLES MCINROY 1986
- EMILY MCINROY 1966
- EDITH HAWKSWORTH 1966
- ALMA BROOKES 1978
- Names Picture on Wall. In memory of NELLIE KIRKHAM 1982
- ARTHUR CUTHBERT BROOKE TAYLOR KRITHIA June 4th 1915 - Wooden surround on altar.
- To the Glory of God and a token of gratitude from W.W. JOHNSON LLANDRINDROD WELLS 1912 - Base of cross on altar .
- Given to HACKNEY CHURCH by VICTOR & WILFRED. BOWLER - Base of collection plate
- Presented by ALICE WILSON Easter 1916 - Fly leaf of Prayer Book
- In memory of ETHNE HELEN BROOME 1961 - Seat beside pre-dieu
- ARTHUR WRIGHT SMITH Reader in charge 1916 - 1932 . - Picture of same on wall.
These Memorial Inscriptions appear by kind permission of the Derbyshire Family History Society. Their website is located HERE. Books, fiches and other materials on Belper, as well as other Derbyshire districts, may be obtained from the Society.